“There are so many ways of being despicable it quite makes one’s head spin. But the way to be really despicable is to be contemptuous of other people’s pain.”
Giovanni’s Room, James Baldwin
- “Becoming Object,” essay on Maggie Nelson’s The Argonauts published at Electric Literature.
- “The Trees, The Trees,” essay on Twin Peaks, growing up in the Pacific Northwest, and mapping the route to human evil published at The Los Angeles Review of Books.
- “This Is How You Lose Her,” essay on the ownership changes and franchise history of the San Diego Padres, published in The Classical.
- Essay on Laura van den Berg’s The Isle of Youth & the fiction of Deborah Eisenberg, “Youth and the Eisenberg Uncertainty Principle,” published by The Millions.
- Review of Phosphorescent’s “Album of the Year” winning LP Muchacho published in Paste Magazine.